The yarn was very chunky wool, and the needles were extra large, both of which were a bit unlike my usual knitting style. But I thought it would be a good challenge for me.
The pattern ended up being super simple, with four square sections of all knitting. The only slightly complicated part was alternating the color of the yarn. I tried wrapping the strands as I went, so I wouldn't have lots of ends to deal with when I sewed it up.
There was enough yarn leftover that I was able to make another smaller version using a slightly different "top down" in the round pattern.
The sweaters went to two nieces, sisters, who were both having boys around the same time.