Friday, November 20, 2015

Flooding

Just one week after the Event, we had a weekend of extremely heavy rain. (So thankful it waited a week!) We had about 13" in a couple of days, while a nearby town had almost 20".

When we get so much rain in such a short space of time, following months of no rain, there is really nowhere for the water to go.

Creeks flooded. Fields flooded. Roads flooded. Sections of Interstate 45 were closed. Thankfully our house sits on higher ground, but some of our property on lower ground was underwater.

I happened to be in town the day it started raining. I had no idea how bad it was going to get so quickly. I heard later that the roads I used to get home were closed soon after I left. Thankfully I was in Guv'nor's truck that day which sits up higher than most cars.

When I saw the boat rescue (!) going that way I decided to go a different way.

The water started getting deep as I approached this overpass.

Thankfully I was on slightly higher ground as I waited at the intersection just under the overpass.

My theory was, if the truck in front of me can do it, I can too.

Guv'nor resorted to wearing his cowboy hat since it was waterproof. He's not happy about all the rain.


The website "drivetexas.org" was useful to see which roads were flooded.


No comments:

Post a Comment