Monday, July 29, 2019

Armadillo

An armadillo got snarled up in the chicken fencing. It was an unpleasant surprise one morning when I went out to feed the chickens. 

The back shell of an armadillo has different sections and several ridges. Somehow the fencing got wedged between one of the sections, and I'm assuming it wouldn't dislodge even when the armadillo tried squirming and reversing out. The fence doesn't have a strong charge, but apparently it had enough to kill the armadillo over several hours. 

There have been plenty of dead animals and unpleasant things that have had to be done, but getting the dead armadillo untangled from the chicken fencing was one of the most unpleasant things I've had to do so far on our farm. I've had to untangle dead chickens before, but I felt some sort of sympathy for them. I had absolutely no sympathy for the armadillo, and felt disgust at being forced to be so close to it. I was annoyed at how tightly it was wedged in the fencing, almost to the point of cutting the fence. They are potential carriers for diseases including leprosy, so in addition to wearing gloves, I used my chicken rake to move it. I got it as far as the compost bin, and later Son buried it.

It would have been impossible for me to have dealt with it if it had been alive.





No comments:

Post a Comment