Monday, September 18, 2017

Peas and Beans

You may remember that I planted some Christmas lima beans and cream peas in the spring. Both sprouted quickly and grew plentiful vines that filled the raised bed. I decided not to stake them and instead let them spread out and cover the bed. They had slightly different shaped and colored leaves, so I could tell which was which. Both flowered nicely.

While the cream peas were flowering and sprouting pods nicely, the lima beans never grew pods. It was the strangest thing. I would notice lots of flowers and expect to see pods a few days later. But they never came. We have had lots of grasshoppers around so I'm guessing they love flowers. Pesky grasshoppers.

Meanwhile, the cream peas have done just fine, even though something has been eating the peas out of the pods. I'm still getting a good amount of peas. I'm shelling them and letting them dry out before I put them away. Like I did last year.


















No comments:

Post a Comment