Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Saving Okra

The okra did really well this summer. The plants did get over six feet high which made picking the okra a little tricky for me. 

I saved as much as I wanted to eat since I'm about the only one in my family that likes it. I sliced it and put it in small tubs with a little cornmeal to coat it. Then put the tub in the freezer. Whenever I want to cook some I'll just get a tub out of the freezer.

I don't really like deep frying things in the kitchen for several reasons: the smell, the fire risk, the mess. So I've been experimenting with shallow frying and oven baking.

Now I'm working on saving some of the seeds by letting a few pods dry on the vine.

The best thing about growing okra is the pretty flowers they have.


















2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever tried okra. The plants look really pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure its very popular in England. It's mostly a US Southern staple. It grows well in very hot climates. And most southerners like fried foods.

      Delete