Monday, June 26, 2017

Okra

After being encouraged, once again, by my cousin who gives me East Texas gardening advice, I decided I'd have a go at growing okra. I have been hesitant to try it, not because I didn't think it would grow well, but because I thought I was the only one that liked eating it. It turns out several in the family actually like it when it's battered and fried and crispy. 

So here we go. I think I planted a little late in the season because other locals are already selling their okra in farm stands. But we have a long hot summer so I'm pretty sure there's still time for it to produce.

The packet says the plants will grow to 4 feet high in 53 days. Yikes, that's almost taller than me. After about a week they were sprouting. And now five weeks later, they are about 6-8" tall. Doesn't look anywhere near producing anything in three weeks. But I'll be patient.

(The egg is just for reference for the size. It's what I had  in my hand when I took the photo.)










No comments:

Post a Comment