Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Strawberries

We're finally getting some good strawberries. After several years of trying, I had just about given up on them.

Some of the plants are from so long ago that I forget when I actually first planted them. We were getting a few strawberries in June 2013, so I had planted them sometime before then.

I started with them in the hydroponic tubs, but they didn't do very well. So I transplanted them to the raised beds in October 2105

I try to pick them every morning. But some mornings I don't have time to really look for them. They tend to hide under the leaves so you really have to search for them.

Lately we've been getting more than we can eat that day, so I've been freezing them. I wash them, let them dry, cut the tops off, then lay them on a baking tray so they don't touch. Once they're frozen hard, I put them in plastic zip bags.

I'm not even sure what varieties we have. They are smaller and softer than the ones you can buy. Might be our imagination, but we think they are also sweeter and tastier.















No comments:

Post a Comment