Thursday, October 8, 2015

Strawberry Transplanting

I haven't had much luck growing strawberries with the hydroponic method. After two seasons of taking up space, I decided to move the best of the plants over into the raised beds. Since half of one bed is taken over with asparagus for the foreseeable future, I decided to put the strawberries in the other half.

This half was previously completely covered in weeds and grass, so over the summer I had it covered with a plastic sheet in hopes of eliminating that growth. The method was fairly successful, but I still had to pull a few weeds around the edges. I added a bag of rich compost that I had, along with a wheelbarrow full of chicken enriched wood shavings from the coop. Guv'nor helped turn it over for me.

I planted about a dozen strawberry plants with their roots, some bigger and healthier than others. After about two weeks, about half of them withered up, and only a few have survived. I keep watering them each day, so we'll see how they do.

1 comment:

  1. My strawberries did great this year with all the rain. But, as soon as the rain stopped, I couldn't water them enough and they are all completely dead. I'm going to have to start over completely. Bummer.