Thursday, June 7, 2018

Transplanting Bluebonnets

We dug up a few bluebonnet plants a few weeks ago from the side of the road. I was hoping to transplant them to our garden, because I'm not very hopeful about the seeds I tossed around. 

What surprised me was that bluebonnets don't grow individually as a single blossom. They grow as a small bushy plant with several blossoms on each plant. I guess I had never really looked at them closely. The ground was pretty hard that day, so we should've taken a shovel with us instead a little garden trowel.

We were careful to get the plants that had already produced the seed pods. Apparently next year's plants come from the seed pods when they dry and burst open. We also just picked some seed pods to see if we could dry them and get seeds. 

We planted them in a bare spot at the front of the house. They didn't respond very well to being moved, but I wasn't expecting them to. I am just hoping that some seeds might scatter around the house for next season.

I checked them today, and to my surprise some of the seed pods have opened and the outer shell has curled. I could see a few seeds on the ground. So, now all we need is some rain.












No comments:

Post a Comment