Friday, January 10, 2014

Boredom

I have read that one of the problems with chickens during the winter is boredom. Because things aren't growing, there's not much for them to eat or play with. The boys will start fighting and the girls will start pulling feathers. One idea was to provide something for them to play with that they can also eat - like a head of cabbage. So I tried it out. I was disappointed that my chickens didn't seem to notice it or know what to do with it. I'm going to try grubs next.





2 comments:

  1. I was catching up on your old posts and realized that there was so much about farming I didn't know. I only grew up around cattle and goats. I long for my own garden one day! Keep up the tidbits, I'll need them. Also, I know it was a while back, but it was nice meeting ya'll at Cotton Patch that one day. I've heard so many nice things from K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Our entire life seems to be one huge experiment at the moment! Hopefully we'll be branching out to cows before too long.

      Delete