Thursday, September 17, 2015

Egg Sizes

After several weeks of protest, the chickens are beginning to lay more eggs. For awhile during the summer we were only getting 2-4 eggs per day. That's a very disappointing result when there are 20 laying hens out there. The decline in eggs was most likely caused by the summer heat and the upset to the flock when the younger ones were added. Adding new roosters probably contributed as well. I think they are settled down now because they are producing 10-12 eggs a day. That's still not as many as we should be getting.

There is a wide range of sizes from the different birds. I'm never sure which bird lays which egg except that the two different breeds lay different colors. A few weeks ago we got a tiny little green egg.









5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I enjoy having different breeds that lay different colors. Next time I want some that lay dark brown eggs.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'll say it. So you want some chocolate eggs?

      Delete
  2. A friend in high school raised chickens. I was visiting and she showed me a double yoked egg. I was astounded that something like that could happen. She told me that it was because they fed the chickens the left over milk they made up for the steers they were raising. Then she started giggling. I'm pretty sure she wasn't telling me the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny story. We haven't had double yolks yet in any of our eggs. I'm not sure what causes them, but I'm pretty sure it's not from drinking milk!

      Delete