Saturday, December 23, 2017

Persimmons

The day we went exploring out to the deer blind, Son also wanted to show me some round orange colored fruit he'd found in the woods. He hadn't seen it before and wasn't sure what it was. I was hoping for peaches, but knew it was the wrong time of year for those. So we walked out into the woods and found the trees. I'd taken a bucket to pick up some in case they looked good.

Turns out it was persimmons. I know nothing about persimmons. I've never eaten one. Don't know what they taste like to know if I'd like them. I don't know what to do with them. Don't know if you eat them raw or have to cook them. I don't know when they're ripe, or the best time to pick them.

Some of the fruit had fallen on the ground, but most was still on the trees, on higher branches we couldn't reach. I suggested picking a few from the few lower branches to bring back to the house. Turns out we probably should have picked up the ones on the ground. The softer ones may be the better ones. The ones we brought back to the house were still hard and probably not ripe yet.

We had seen other trees out on the fence line of the county road, we just didn't know we had some back in the woods. I'll have to figure out to pick them because they're too high to reach. And how to use them. Since then I have seen them for sale in the grocery store so I guess some people find a use for them.








2 comments:

  1. All I can offer is, NEVER eat an unripe persimmon. They make your tongue furry, and you can't get it off! Totally weird and icky.

    ReplyDelete