Thursday, September 6, 2012

Calves

On the way home from buying some raw milk, I drove by another type of dairy. It is a large scale commercial dairy. It seems to be better than most because at least the cows are allowed to graze and roam fairly freely.

One of the harsh realities of dairy farming is that the baby cows are separated from their mothers shortly after birth. These calves are being kept just across the road. Each calf is chained to its own shelter with food and water. There are about 75 of these shelters but it is difficult to know if calves are in all of them. As they grow they are moved to another pen down the road.




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE RAW MILK. and I don't think I would make a very good farmer or rancher because I would be a sucker and feel all sorry for the calves and not break them apart. I can hear them all crying in my head. The moms cry. The babies cry. Boo hoo. Oh yea, and my grandpa bar-b-qued my pet goat once. waaaaaaaaaaa....... farming is hard. sniff

    ReplyDelete