Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Canning Potatoes

The potatoes I planted back in February were ready a few weeks ago. We had more potatoes than we could easily eat, so I decided to try canning some of the extras. This was the first canning I had tried since taking the canning class last year. I collected all the necessary equipment soon after the class so I had it handy and ready to use.

I can fit 7 quart jars into my pressure canner, so I ended up using about 10 pounds of potatoes.

The recipe from the Ball Blue Book said to peel and cut the potatoes into 1-2" cubes. Then to boil them for about 10 minutes.

I followed the recipe faithfully.

I filled my 7 warm quart jars with the boiled potatoes and a little salt and set them inside the pressure canner. The recipe said to cook for 40 minutes at 10 lb. pressure.

I opened the pressure canner the next morning after it had all cooled down. I wasn't going to take any chances.

There is a nice feeling of accomplishment when you see the jars lined up on the shelf.

(Sorry, I didn't take many photos because I was concentrating on the canning.)





1 comment:

  1. Mom would always put the potatoes we harvested in the basement on an old screen door that was on cinder blocks to keep it off the floor. I remember being sent to the basement more than once to get potatoes.

    ReplyDelete