I think I let them dry too much, because the stalks were rather dry and several of the garlic bulbs fell off. The timing is tricky because you need the garlic to be dry enough not to get moldy later, but not too dry that the stalks are brittle.
I had watched a couple of videos online before I started, so I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to do. One suggested that you moisten the stalks a little with a damp towel. I decided to use a spray bottle. I also trimmed off the roots near the bottom of the bulb.
You start the braid with three larger bulbs. I used a pipe cleaner to tie them together. Then you start braiding, adding a new bulb where needed each time you bring the ends across and adding the stalk in the center. Alternating where you add the bulb creates an balanced strand. The rest is like braiding hair. I used 12-15 bulbs per strand. Keep braiding the stalks all the way to the end, then tie together. Hang the strand, bulb side down.
I have my braids hanging in the garage for now since I didn't have another place to put them. I should be able to break off a bulb as and when I need one. I'll be curious to see how long they last.