Monday, April 25, 2016

A Dozen a Day

The chickens are producing about a dozen eggs a day now. This is pretty good for 18 layers and I'm happy with that. Over the winter, we were doing well to get four eggs a day. So having a dozen a day is a big change. I have several friends who are happy recipients of my extras.

Sometimes one chicken will go over the fence (even though I've clipped the wings) during the day and I sometimes find a random egg somewhere in the bushes. A few times I've found a pecked and eaten egg (bad chickens!).

I have a little basket I keep out in the coop to carry my eggs to the house. Then I transfer them to egg cartons I reuse and I date them with a pencil. I sometimes like to make patterns in the cartons with the different colored eggs.











No comments:

Post a Comment