Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Snakes

We've had a few pesky snakes around the house lately. You may remember that I don't like snakes very much. I've been reminded that snakes are good and take care of things like rodents. But when they scare me to death, then they're not a good thing to have around.

The first one was hiding around the raised bed and came flying out when Guv'nor was mowing the grass. He dealt with it and thankfully only told me about it later. He assured me it was dead even though he hadn't removed the head. It was a small copperhead which is poisonous.

His friend (snakes travel in pairs) turned up about a week later slithering around the chicken coop. Good thing I've learned to look carefully where I walk or I would have stepped on it. I am happy to say that I made it all the way into the house before I screamed for help. Thankfully Guv'nor was home and able come quickly with a shovel to detach the head. And yes, shouts of "get the head, get the head" were heard coming out of my mouth. I was so relieved that it was dead that I didn't get a picture of it. So sorry.

A few days later, I noticed a head poking up out of the compost bin. Again, I made it inside the house before screaming. And again, Guv'nor was thankfully at home. This time he had more trouble because the snake was hiding among pieces of lumber behind the compost bin and he couldn't get a clean hit. Once he got it out he was able to get the head. I was happier then. This one was a long, maybe six feet, chicken snake.

I keep waiting for his partner to show up but so far haven't seen it.




No comments:

Post a Comment