Monday, November 20, 2017

Saving Seeds

I managed to save a few seeds from the okra and, surprisingly, the Christmas beans.

After reading a little on what to do, I left a couple of okra pods on the stems until all the other okra was finished and we cut them down. The trunks were so thick I needed help.

I had previously tried saving the seeds inside ripe okra after I'd cut it, but they shriveled up into nothing. So later I could see that growing and drying on the vine was the correct way. They looked just like the seeds I'd planted.

I'm clearly not good at estimating (if I had I would have guessed 50 seeds), so I actually counted the okra seeds and came up with 211 seeds from the two pods. This will last me a lifetime probably, since I won't be planting much okra in future.

The dried pods looked like spiky fingers. If I ever need to make a scarecrow, I'll know what to use for the hands.

And the Christmas beans were a total surprise. When I pulled up all the cream pea vines, I noticed one small bean plant underneath that had a few dried pods. Inside were full grown beans. So I thought this was the plant's way to say it was giving me another chance and to try again. I'm going to try planting in the early spring next time.





















No comments:

Post a Comment