Monday, November 4, 2013

Dream Coop

It turns out that Tevia had a spare week to work for us before he left for several months in Tennessee. So Guv'nor suggested that I might like a bigger and better chicken coop. The one we have has been fine but is, alas, already showing it's cheap quality construction. We plan to keep it and modify it as a mobile chicken coop in the future.

So, in a panic over a weekend, I sketched out my dream chicken coop and included all the dream elements. One priority was to have a "human" side divided from the chicken side so I could store the chicken feed and various equipment. The second priority was to have room for deep, deep litter for the chicken poops. The third was to have ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. Then I wanted a few fun features like a cute door and a window and an easy opening chicken door.

We chose a spot for the coop near the edge of the woods but still close to the back door. It seems gardens and animals do best when they are located close to the back door. We used more of our old deck boards (the pile seems endless, I know) for some of the construction and bought some new boards and new metal panels. I found an old door and a stained glass window from local antique shops.

In the end it took a week and a half to build, but we are all thrilled with the end result. It's more like a chicken palace than a coop. Cheers to Tevia!

I think it's my dream coop. But I'm sure when I start using it, I'll realize I forgot something and start dreaming about another bigger and better one. 

We moved the chickens last night after dark when they were sleepy. And this morning they seemed to like their new home.

I have so many photos to choose from. But lest I bore you too much - or crash our slow internet - I will limit them to these ones.

 We used new timber for the framing and old deck boards for the floor.

 The roof slopes in one direction and chicken wire under the metal panels.

The metal panels were set at an angle for more ventilation.

  There are gaps between the boards and the top section left open for ventilation.

The main chicken door is on the front side with a ladder and an awning.

The chicken door is a guillotine style with a pull on the outside.

The second chicken door is on the back with a ladder.

The nesting boxes are on the back side with an outside opening.

I must fix this sharp edge before I poke my eye out.

 The floor to the chicken side has room for about 12" of deep litter.
We had to replace a broken glass panel on the door and trim the stained glass window to fit.

The finished coop sits on the edge of the wooded area in partial shade.

 The chickens seem to like their new house and have found plenty of space to roost.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, beautiful! I was wondering when you were going to post pics of the coop. I love it. Makes me want a new one. Heh. Don't tell Tom. He thought OURS was a chicken palace when he built it, but he ain't seen nothin'. I love that you used an antique door and window. and the chicken wire lining the inside was a good idea, too.