Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Homecoming Mum

Texans distinguish themselves by being the only ones to get excited about Homecoming Mums. The first year we were here we saw them and wondered what they were. Last year we thought they were rather unusual. And this year we succumbed.

When high school Daughter came home saying she not only wanted one this year, but wanted to make it, I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about. Although I'd seen them, I hadn't paid much attention to their construction. So with a little internet searching we decided it was something we thought we could make. We had heard that they might cost over $75 dollars if you bought one already made, and we figured we could make one for less. Some people spend over $100! On a mum!

With a little more investigation, I found that Hobby Lobby had homecoming supplies. Indeed, they had an entire aisle full of the various required elements for a mum. And after watching a lady making special orders, I had a better idea what to buy.

So with all our supplies - ribbons, trinkets, cardboard, artificial flower, stapler and glue gun - we took over the dining room table and set to work. For us it was a little trial-and-error but we gradually worked out what looked good. There is definitely a creative element to making one. We made the starburst layer and the streamers layer, then glued it all together with the mum.









 




4 comments:

  1. The mum is beautiful! You did a great job!
    I laughed when I started reading your blog today because when I read the title, I thought your daughter had been nominated for homecoming court and your post was from the "mum's" perspective.
    Hope she is having a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, she had a fun week (not sure much schooling was done) but I dread those dressing up days. The mum turned out pretty good considering we'd never done one before and really didn't know what we were doing. Maybe next year there will be a court appearance.

      Delete
  2. We had homecoming mums (in Texas) waaaaaay back when, when I was in high school. I received one once. There are huge and cumbersome.....and quite ostentatious. Very Texas! But a girl sure feels special wearing one. Good memories, and your daughter's was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Seems like now girls just tend to do their own rather than wait to be given one. I think since they're morphed into such huge and expensive things, the boys gave up.

      Delete