Monday, May 11, 2015

Texas Trash

One of my fond memories of childhood is visiting my relatives in East Texas. My aunts were all wonderful cooks and I always looked forward to their cooking. It seems like they always had a snack available which they called "Texas Trash." So recently I've searched for a recipe online and found one that sounded similar. It's like store bought Chex Mix except with lots of pecans! I don't like things to be too spicy so I usually half the hot ingredients. I started making this around Christmas time, but we liked it so much I've made it several times since.

Texas Trash

9-10 C of dry ingredients:
     1 C Cheerios cereal
     2 C each of Chex cereal (wheat, rice, corn)
     1 C pretzels or crackers
     1 C nuts

For the topping:
     1/2 C melted butter
     1/4 tsp celery salt
     1/4 tsp garlic salt
     1 tsp seasoning salt
     1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
     1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
     1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce

Combine all the dry ingredients on a large baking sheet. Pour the seasoned butter over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is coated well. 

Bake for an hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment