Friday, August 21, 2015

Fermented Garlic

I found another idea for preserving garlic. And since I have so much garlic sitting around, I thought I would try it.

It is actually a recipe for "lacto-fermentation", but it didn't seem too unusual so I thought I'd give it a try. The process of fermentation produces beneficial probiotics.

Here's the full article, if you're interesting in reading more about it.

First choose a jar size. I chose a jam jar. Peel as much garlic as will fill the jar. I had lots of loose garlic that didn't braid. Peeling the garlic was a little tedious and clearly the hardest part of the recipe. Mix up the brine: 1 cup of filtered water to 1/2 Tablespoon of sea salt. Cover the garlic with the brine. There are several ways to make sure the top layer of garlic gets submerged, but I chose to put a small zip bag of water on top to weigh it down. Seal with a lid and leave the jar, covered, on the counter for about a week. Then store in the fridge for use in any recipe that calls for garlic.




No comments:

Post a Comment