Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Cuttings

Since I had some leftover mulch and soil from the raised beds, I decided to use that to plant several sets of cuttings I had been working on.

I pruned the blackberry bushes the other day and had about a dozen branches I wanted to see if I could grow. Guv'nor had made a donation to the Arbor Day Foundation, and they sent him about a dozen trees to plant. And I had also bought a few elderberry stems at the MEN Fair.

The trees were tiny little saplings, hard to imagine they will grow into trees. They came with a different painted colors on the tips, and a color code to know what each one was.
Purple: Sargent Crabapple (x2)
White: American Redbud (x3)
Blue: Washington Hawthorn (x2)
Orange: White Flowering Dogwood (x3)
Red: Crapemyrtle (x2)
 I had two varieties of elderberry: Wildwood and Adams.

My vague plan is to let the roots get established in the pots and then I'll find places to plant them later. So far they are all doing well and beginning to sprout.










No comments:

Post a Comment