Saturday, August 11, 2012

Super Glue

This post doesn’t really having anything to do with our rural living. It’s got more to do with the moving process that breaks things.

As I mentioned before, I cannot bear to throw away a broken teapot - or any broken piece of china for that matter. I try sometimes, but I just can’t do it. I love china. I end up saving it for something - not sure what. I like to think it's thriftiness. I apply this theory to pieces ranging from cheap ceramics to irreplaceable Austrian porcelain.

When it’s just a smaller chip, then I repair it. I use Super Glue. Here are a few things I’ve learned if you want to try this yourself.
  1. Find all the broken pieces. You can’t glue it if you don’t have it.
  2. Wear gloves. I use those thin latex kind that you can throw away afterwards. I’ve only learned this after several attempts to unstick my fingers.
  3. Lay out a piece of wax paper or parchment paper to work. Things don’t stick to this.
  4. Use tweezers for the smaller pieces.
  5. Glue the smaller pieces together first, then glue to the bigger piece. The glue will add some thickness, so make sure you press it together good.
  6. Hold it for a few seconds before setting it down to dry for a few minutes.
 

Chipped in our move: Augarten hand-painted porcelain teapot from Vienna



Lay down parchment paper for your work surface



Use gloves / hold it for a few seconds



Repaired - not perfect but better than throwing it away



Sadler ceramic teapot with repaired broken handle

1 comment:

  1. I can't throw china away either. I got a china clipper???? um, they cut the china??? I don't know what they are called. Got them off Amazon and I've been cutting the pieces for mosaics. You can also make jewelry with the pieces.

    ReplyDelete