Monday, October 14, 2013

Orange Mushroom

This weird looking orange thing was growing out on the grass this morning. It definitely wasn't there yesterday. I've never seen anything like it. I wasn't completely awake when I went out to tend to my chickens and my fuzzy brain was first thinking - "Tevia left a tool out", then "Who's been playing with the Nerf gun?" Before I realized what I was doing, I bent down and picked it up. Strange smell. It smelled like a really sour, stale dish cloth. Not nice. When I showed Guv'nor, he said it looked like a mushroom. Then I panicked that I'd touched and sniffed a funny mushroom. (note to self: wear gloves when picking up strange things! and don't smell them!) A little internet search revealed that it is probably a mutinus elegans stinkhorn mushroom. I agree with the stinkhorn part. Not edible but also not highly poisonous, so that put my mind to ease a little.




2 comments:

  1. Call it a Fungi and more people will be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you know, here in East Texas we're not out to impress.

      Delete