Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Deodorant Class

Our ladies group got together again, this time to make deodorant. It seems I've become the self-appointed teacher of weird things.

I know this sounds like an unusual thing to be making, but most of the ladies in the group were really excited about this activity. Some had tried it before and loved it, while others had never thought about it before. One lady sheepishly admitted she didn't wear any deodorant. 

Although I'd never made deodorant before, I am rather passionate about avoiding the aluminum based antiperspirant versions you buy in the store. They contain so many chemicals that I know can't be good for you. Plus sweating out all the toxins in your body is a good thing. Since I started paying more attention to healthy things about 30 years ago, I have used several natural versions. My least favorite was probably the rock crystal that kept slipping out of my hand and breaking. The other two that come to mind are Toms and Native, which are both fine but I keep going back to my favorite. For the last 10 years or so, I've settled into using a product from Aubrey Organics with a weird name called "E Plus High C". 

After conferring with a few people, and doing a little online research, I decided to use a simple recipe found on a health conscious website Wellness Mama. She had a couple of recipes to choose from. These classes are testing my math skills, as I try to figure out the quantities of a recipe multiplied several times. And then try to estimate how much of each ingredient I will need. And then work out how much one portion will cost. I also bought empty plastic jars so it would look nice.

I provided enough ingredients for everyone to make one batch using shea butter. And enough ingredients to make several batches of the coconut oil version if they wanted. The cost for each batch was about $5.

The bulk costs were:
12 x 4 oz. containers  $16
2 x 28 oz. coconut oil $25 
8 oz. shea butter $10
16 oz. arrowroot powder $6
2 lbs. baking soda $3








No comments:

Post a Comment