Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Rooster

We've had some sick chickens lately. I didn't notice in time and wasn't being very proactive with interventions. So unfortunately, by the time I did try to help it was too late and we lost our rooster. I should have noticed sooner when he wasn't waking me up crowing every morning. But I guess I was enjoying the quiet.

When I finally noticed that the rooster was struggling and sitting around on the ground, I decided I should check all the other chickens for the same problem. I found I had four who had a full crop.

I was determined not to lose any more, so I did some research and found a few things I could do. I've learned more since my first experience a few years ago. Read about that here.

The cause this time seemed to be eating too much dry grass. It has been hard through the winter finding good green grass for them to eat. I had assumed they wouldn't eat things that might make them sick, but I guess they don't know the difference. Other causes can be bad, moldy feed or too much sweet human food.

Here are a few things you can do to help:
  • Separate the sick one to watch and treat.
  • Massage the crop, but be careful not to suffocate.
  • Withhold regular food.
  • Give lots of clean water, with electrolytes or apple cider vinegar.
  • Give lots of granite grit.
  • Prepare soft foods that are easy to digest (like oatmeal or scrambled eggs).

I set up the back side of the coop for the sick ones. It only recently occurred to me that I could use that area separately as long as I didn't open the back door. So each morning I would catch the sick ones inside the coop before letting them all out, and carry them around to the back area. I used small plastic rings on their legs to help me identify them. They can all roost/sleep together since I don't usually feed them inside the coop.

Once they were separated, I was able to control their feed and water each day. I provided an old plant tub, on it's side, for them to lay eggs if they needed. I made them oatmeal with a little unsweetened applesauce or olive oil. I massaged their crop a couple times during the day.

So far, the sick ones seem to be recovering. I have let them back with the others, but check them every morning to see how they're doing.












No comments:

Post a Comment