Friday, July 13, 2018

Chicken Count

One of my black Australorp hens got snarled up in the electric fencing the other day and before I knew it, she was dead. At different times, the hens do fly over the fence. Because our dog knows they're not supposed to be outside, she tries to herd them back inside. Then they usually get stuck in the fencing. Things like this just happen all the time, usually when I'm not around. It was just bad luck this day that the fence was on and working. Half the time I forget to turn it on, or it's not discharging very strong.

As before, I buried the hen in the compost bin. I happened to be throwing away some flowers the same day, so put them on top.

We've lost several chickens lately for various reasons. Farm life is harsh, but I'm gradually getting used to it. I haven't included a head count here for some time: 16 hens. I'm only getting about 6 eggs a day. Most of them are getting older, the youngest are two years old, so it's probably time for some new ones soon. 

6 black Australorp
5 brown Amerucaua
2 Barred Rock
2 Rhode Island Red
1 white Leghorn







No comments:

Post a Comment