Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Pantry Shelves

For some time I have been needing some pantry shelves built in a small closet by the kitchen. Since we moved in, we have just been using some old shelves we already had that happened to fit in the space. But over time, things just started piling up and getting lost. I frequently bought things I already had but couldn't find because they'd been pushed to the back.

So while we had the Brothers working around the house, I asked them to build me some basic shelves to make better use of the small space. My goal was to get everything off the floor, and to be able to see everything.

I measured up the space and drew up a rough plan of what I wanted. At first I got pretty excited because it was going to double the storage space. Then the Brothers pointed out that my drawing wasn't scaled correctly. So I re-drew and came up with a more realistic plan.

Several times throughout the process, they would stop and ask me about something. I admit I am not good about foreseeing what things will look like. So a few times things were built and then had to be rebuilt when it wasn't working. Thankfully they had anticipated a few changes along the way.

This also forced me to empty the closet and remove all the out of date things. I don't strictly follow the expiration dates on most things, but also have learned that even though it might be safe to eat past the date, it might not taste very good. Quite a few food items never really go bad, like sugar and honey. But anything that contains any form of fats, will go bad fairly quickly.  I'm too embarrassed to say what the dates were on some of the things.

Son has a nifty little label maker, so I have used it to remind me where to put things. And I now write the expiration date with a sharpie where I can easily rotate things.

But I do feel good that I have a pretty good stash of tea.

My First Plan

The Second Realistic Plan





















No comments:

Post a Comment