Thursday, July 26, 2018

Grubs

After the recent pantry clear out, we had several boxes of old food to deal with. I hate to waste food. So I decided to start up the BioPod again.

This old post explains it the best. Also this one about the grubs. But last year I gave up.

In the past I've had limited success using the BioPod to make grubs. The main problem is having enough food scraps to keep them going. They require a constant supply to keep the life cycle of the soldier fly going. Another problem is that animals smell the rotting food and disturb the tub. 

So this summer I have tried keeping the tub inside the chicken coop. I close the door at night so the tub can't get disturbed. The downside is that it makes the coop smell. Pretty bad at times. 

But so far it's been working well and I've had a good amount of grubs to feed the chickens. The amount of grubs varies from day to day. I haven't quite worked out what food produces the most grubs, or how long the life cycle is to produce a good amount.

They're just treats whenever we get them. The chickens love them. And all that old food wasn't wasted.













No comments:

Post a Comment