Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bobcat

Yesterday was very exciting around here. 

After a restless night being woken up in the middle of the night by loud noises outside our bathroom window, I ventured out in the morning to investigate with trusty Dog by my side. We suspect we have an armadillo digging under our A/C units based on the mounds of dirt and gaping holes. It is hard to believe an animal that small could have made noises that loud in the night. It sounded like one of the girls was hammering and sawing. I think we need some traps.

Then later in the day while I was eating my lunch (thankfully inside the house) I noticed a bobcat sneak out of the woods and sit casually under the shade of one of the trees behind the house. I grabbed my camera/phone and dashed to the nearest and biggest window I could find so I could take a few photos in safety. It posed for awhile and then started stalking a squirrel on a nearby tree. Soon after it dashed and pounced on the squirrel. I was too scared to go out and check on the outcome.

By late afternoon, the cows were back in the far field. Our fencing has too many gaps in it to be effective in keeping the neighbor's cows out.

Bobcat sitting in the shade (best photo I could get zoomed through double paned window)

Bobcat dashing after the squirrel - and towards the house!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, that's cool. I don't remember ever seeing one that close. Do you have coyotes at night?

    ReplyDelete