Monday, November 5, 2012

Spiced Pecans

Here's a great recipe for a pound of good pecans. It's fairly easy but does take an hour to slow bake. I got this recipe years ago from a co-worker who was from Maine (credit where credit is due, I always say).

Spiced Pecans
1 egg white (I use good quality free-range/pastured eggs)
1 tsp cold water
1 lb. pecans (I use whole halves, because they're easier to eat)
1/2 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

If there are any left after a day, store in an air tight container.

Start by separating the egg

Save the yoke for something else, like scrambled eggs

Put the egg white and the water in a large bowl

Whip the egg white until foamy. I used a hand mixer this time.

In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Use good quality, fresh pecans. I used a little less than a pound because I'd eaten some of them.

Add the pecans to the bowl of whipped egg whites.

Stir until the pecans are mostly coated with egg white.

Then add the sugar mixture.

Stir until the sugar sticks to all the pecans.

Spread out on a baking sheet. I lined mine with parchment paper.

The pecans will be sticky at this point.

Bake for an hour at 225 degrees. I set the timer for 15 minute intervals and take it out to stir. It will still be sticky.

By the time it's baked for an hour, the pecans will be crispy and ready to take out.

No comments:

Post a Comment