Monday, October 23, 2017

Salt Lick

My cousin MC sent me an article the other day that she thought I might find interesting. It was about an art competition in Oregon with salt blocks that animals have licked into various shapes. You can read about it on Atlas Obscura here and here .

So I thought about our salt blocks and decided to start taking a few photos of the one that our cows have been working on. I had never given the salt blocks much notice before. But now it's about all I look at when I'm out near the cows.

It starts out as a plain block of red colored salt. 50 pounds of salt. One costs about $5. I can't even pick it up. So when I buy some from the feed store they have to load it in the truck and Guv'nor has to take it out.

But the cows lick on it as they need during the day and it gradually erodes into interesting curvy shapes. They were working on one block, then a few days later they were already onto a new block. 

I usually can't get too close to it because the cows are gathered around it waiting their turn. But when I can I hop the fence and take a few snaps. Usually the shadows add even more interest.













No comments:

Post a Comment