Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Ratchets

I must admit I've been intimidated by ratchet straps. During Son's recent move, I was determined to learn how to use one. The first moving trip we made we didn't tie down anything in the flat bed of the truck, and I worried the whole way home that things were going to fly out on the freeway. And since Guv'nor wasn't with us for most of the moving, it was up to me to learn how to use the tie-down straps.

First I located our bag full of various sizes and lengths. It was a bit of a jumble. We must get better about putting things away neatly. I knew enough to know that there were two strap pieces to each set. And that each strap had a hook on one end and different end pieces on the other end. So I laid them all out on the kitchen counter and matched up all the pieces. Thankfully some of ours are different sizes and colors and textures.

At first I thought, how hard can it be to use these? So I worked awhile patiently trying to figure which end went where and how to thread the strap. Actually I worked quite awhile trying to figure it out and finally gave up.

I then had the idea to find an instructional video online somewhere. Turns out there are several. Some better than others. So I watched a few.

I returned with my new found knowledge to the kitchen counter and worked again trying to figure out how to use them. I quickly learned that you can really pinch your fingers if you don't do something right. But I persevered and somehow happened onto a successful method. Or so I thought.

Then it was time to try it out between two points. For some reason I thought two nearby door knobs would be a good test. I put the end hooks around the door knobs and easily started tightening the straps. When the hinges started creaking I decided that was tight enough. Unfortunately at this point I realized my knowledge of releasing the ratchet was insufficient. Eventually and mostly by accident, the straps loosened just enough that I could slip the hooks off the door knobs. Whew! For a second there I thought I was going to be in big trouble.

I watched the videos again. Several times. I gained a little more confidence. So I decided to try it out on the truck flatbed tie down hooks. They proved to be more sturdy than the door knobs. But even then I was only successful about half the time. That wasn't good enough. 

I wasn't ready to give up completely but I admitted to myself that I was going to need some one-to-one instruction. Guv'nor was at work, so my first thought was Neighbor. I figured he'd know how, but he wasn't home. Then I thought of Son-in-Law who lives on the way to the apartment. Thankfully he was home and knew how to use them. Once he showed me how and why the pieces moved the way they did I could understand. I watched him thread, ratchet, release several times. And then he watched as I repeated. I still pinched my fingers a few times. Once you know how, it seems simple. I can say that now.

If you're wanting to learn, don't ask me to show you. My method is still rather trial and error. I'd suggest watching a few videos. But I did learn a couple of obvious things:

  • there is an outside and an inside to the ratchet piece
  • there are two spring releases, one on each end of the opened ratchet
  • the padded versions are easier on the hands
  • both spring releases need to be held to remove the strap
  • thread the strap with the end leading out rather than in
  • pull the strap through and tighten by hand before beginning to ratchet


I showed you the last photo in a previous post, but I'm showing you again so you can admire my ratcheting skills. And I'm happy to say we didn't lose anything on the freeway, even with the tailgate down all the way.













1 comment: