Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Veg Stand

One of our goals is to become self-sufficient regarding our food consumption. Hopefully, we're realistic enough to realize that it will take us weeks before that will happen. Meanwhile, we are going to try to take advantage of the local sources for as many things as we can. In addition to the watermelon we were given the other day, we were also given tomatoes and onions.

Yesterday I drove down the road (4 miles) to a little vegetable stand we'd seen the other day but had closed for the day. What had caught my eye was the "shelled peas" sign. I love blackeyed peas so I was hoping for them. What I found was purple hull which was a good second best. Here's what I bought:
purple hull peas $6/bag, shelled
cowpeas $6/bag, shelled
green beans $3/basket
red potatoes $3/basket
peaches $5/basket
Everything was local (not sure about the potatoes). The peas came from Alto (apparently the deer eat the peas in our area). The peaches came from Mexia (pronounced Ma-hay-a).

Last night was my first attempt to cook in the new kitchen. I felt like I spent most of my time walking around in circles trying to remember where I'd put things. I cooked up the peas and potatoes to go with some chicken I'd bought the other day at a Mennonite farm. I'll tell you about that another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment